An accident is always unfortunate. However, if you have been involved in an accident, then there are certain things that you should remember to do immediately after the accident. These immediate actions after an accident will save you from a lot of trouble that the accident might bring to you. You are liable to insurance claims if you can prove that the accident has been caused by the fault of the other driver. While giving these tips, this article assumes safely assumes that you were not drunk during the accident and the accident has been caused by no fault of yours. In other words, these tips will be able to help you in case of a Texas car accident only when you have been the victim and not the reason of the accident.
• Stop and wait for the police to come: The penalties for hit and run in Texas are severe, so remember to stop at the accident site unless police and medical help arrives.
• If you are injured yourself or if someone else is injured in the accident, then, if possible, try to provide preliminary medical attention. If you have hit a pedestrian and the injured person is lying on the road, then try to move the person safely to the side of the road, unless, there are more chances of injuring the other person by moving him or her. Do everything possible to ensure the safety of the other person.
• Call 911 immediately after the accident. When the police arrives note down the badge number of the officer who is investigating the scene. You should cooperate with the police officer but stay calm and state the basic facts only. Do not give a detailed description to the police officer, unless you have contacted your lawyer. Your car wreck lawyer should be the person responsible for representing you in front of the police and the insurance company.
• While you must sign the traffic ticket, you should not sign in any other paper or claims about the accident. You should remember that these could be used later against you at a court of law. Do not give in to pressure or bullying from the other party.
• Make personal notes about the accident. Note down the name and phone number of witnesses at the accident site and also make a note of the place and time of the accident site. Use your phone camera or video recording facility to note down the number plates of the other car or to record what the witnesses have to say about the accident.