Enjoy The Winter Wonderland with Safe Driving!
Who else enjoyed the snowfall in Dallas yesterday? Absolutely beautiful, if you ask me. Many of us probably spent last night with our fingers crossed, hoping the weather would cause office and classroom closures. No such luck!
As you commute through Dallas / Fort Worth today, keep safety your number one priority. As of 7:20 am this morning, Dallas Fire Rescue was reported to have responded to 72 vehicle accidents since midnight. It is not uncommon for Texas residents – many of whom rarely, if ever, have an opportunity to learn how to drive on ice.
Weather.com wrote an informative piece on how to drive in snow and ice. Some of the more useful tidbits for Dallas drivers to consider include:
- (1) You should allow at least three times more space than usual between you and the car in front of you.
- (2) Brake gently to avoid skidding. If your wheels start to lock up, ease off the brake.
- (3) Turn on your lights to increase your visibility to other motorists.
- (4) Use low gears to keep traction, especially on hills.
- (5) Don’t use cruise control or overdrive on icy roads.
- (6) Don’t assume your vehicle can handle all conditions. Even four-wheel and front-wheel drive vehicles can encounter trouble on winter roads.
The car accident lawyers at the Rasansky Law Firm encourage you to be extra careful during your commute today. Ice (considered an act of God by many courts) can add a level of difficulty when trying to recover damages from your wreck. By staying alert over the next few days, you can avoid an accident and prevent every needing to hire a Dallas attorney.
Drive safely, Dallas!