The news is blowing up about 25-year-old Bethany Leigh Denman’s sentencing for the 2010 death of piano teacher Amy Meron. What cost the San Antonio mother her life will now cost the honor roll student a minimum of seven years in jail (before parole can be considered).
There are no winners in these cases.
- A woman has lost her life
- A family has lost a loved one
- A girl has lost her future career aspirations
- A university has lost a student
- A music class has lost a teacher
- A hospital has lost a future medical professional
- A community has lost two smiles
- An employer has lost an employee
- A home has lost a resident
- A parent has lost a child
There are no winners in drunk driving cases. A person may be sentenced for her crime, but don’t confuse the punishment of the offender with the victory of the victim. There are some losses that cannot be repaid.