If you’ve been in a car crash, you have plenty to think about. First, there are the issues with your vehicle, of course, presuming that you don’t seem to be hurt. There will be calls from insurance companies and a lot of questions about the accident. None of this can be avoided unless you get a car wreck attorney. The reason that many people don’t get an accident lawyer is that they assume that they’re not put out much by the accident. In reality, however, there are situations where the most lasting damage caused by the accident isn’t immediate.
- Medical Problems: Sometimes medical problems are not only long-term, but very slow to manifest. You may, for example, suffer a neck injury that won’t become apparent until a few days later. Likewise, head trauma can have long-lasting effects.
- Vehicle Problems: Even though you may get your repairs covered by a settlement check, there may be more extensive damage to your car than you think. You can easily be put out of a car by an accident long after it’s happened.
- Insurance Rates: Face it, insurance companies like to bill for everything and pay for nothing. If you give them a reason, they’ll raise your rates, even if that reason is actually not your fault.
- Psychological Trauma: The fear of imminent death is very real and very powerful. In some cases, people who go through traumatic experiences end up with panic attacks, depression and other difficulties.
- Death: Never accept a settlement for a death without first consulting an attorney. Some good reasons are detailed below.
If you’re in a particularly bad wreck with someone, it may be because they’re an inordinately reckless driver. If that reckless driver happens to work with a trucking company, however, the stakes are much higher.
Texas is a hub of the trucking industry. If your injuries resulted from a commercial truck accident, be sure to contact an attorney. In many cases, the reason for the wreck turns out to be that the trucking company was being irresponsible and, if that is the case, they are a threat to even more people. A good attorney understands what obligations a trucking company must meet in order to stay in business and, if they’ve been lax, can make sure that they’re held accountable to the people that sometimes get hurt because of it.